This hunk of meat is both Beauty and Beast. Sitting anywhere around 2 to 4 plus lbs. of pure beef, you can’t help but smoke a cigar, drink scotch, and nut check your buddies while cooking this Ferrari of a steak. And like a Ferrari, she is a beauty to look at and also expensive. This cut is from the rib section of the cow. (I hope you figured that part out on your own.) The long rib bone is left on and French-trimmed making it one hell of a presentation. I highly recommend this reverse sear technique and not cooking it beyond medium. And don’t forget to wear that athletic cup fellas.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time (approx.): 45 min – 1 hour
Smoker Temp: 225°
- 1 2-4 lbs. Tomahawk Ribeye steak. (Prime preferred)
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 ½ tbsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tsp. of minced garlic (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of melted butter
- Coat with olive oil.
- Season each side with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.
- Add 1 tsp. of minced garlic to each side. (optional)
- If you have vacuum sealer use it. If not you can just wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let it sit in the fridge for 4 to 24 hours.
- Place in smoker and cook to 110° to 115° internal temp.
- Throw over direct heat and sear each side for 4-7 minutes depending on your desired temp.Don’t forget the sides.
- Rotate steak a quarter turn halfway through searing on each side if you want those fancy grill marks. If not, no worries. Underachievers are welcome too.
- Check the internal temp. If it hit the mark, pull it. If not leave it over indirect heat for another few minutes until you get your desired temp. *See the first tip in the tips section.
- Drizzle with melted butter. If you have clarified butter even better.
- Wrap in foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut the bone off of the meat and give it to your dog.
- Slice the meat across the grain to your desired thickness and enjoy.
- Please don’t cook this beyond 135° internal temp. It’s inhumane and I’m pretty sure every time someone makes a ribeye well done the terrorists win.
- Don’t forget to season and sear the sides. You’ll end up with an uneven tasting steak.
- You don’t have to vacuum seal the meat but if you have one use it. If not, wrap it in plastic wrap and set it in the fridge overnight.
- Roast some garlic for this and smear it all over that bad boy. No one will want to be near you after you eat but it’s worth the sacrifice. Most people are annoying anyway.
- Don’t eat the whole thing. This is for sharing so take it easy Cochise.
- Go light on the salt or use a no or low sodium seasoning. After all, the meat is the flavor.
- Skip the fat.Cut the fat off after cooking or you can trim it lean beforehand. Just remember fat is flavor and also keeps the steak juicy.
- Try making a salad instead. Damn vegan.