Oh jeez Louise, it’s the smoked brat. Yous won’t have to travel all the way up nort’ anymore to get one of these beautes. Dis here smoked brats are what happens when a hot dog just won’t do. Juicy, smoky, and oh you betcha’ full of delicious piggy goodness, these brats pair well with any one of Wisco’s fine, massed produced beers. Just make sure you don’t offend and throw one of these on a hot dog bun. Hard crusted bread only, ok der?
“Meanwhile in Bavaria” by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
Cook Time (approx.):
1 to 2 hours
- 5 brats
- 32oz. of beer (Lager recommended)
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 5 hard rolls: French, sourdough, etc.
- 1 tsp of mustard per brat
- Pour 32 ounces of lager, pilsner, IPA (hippie), whatever floats your boat, into a large pot.
- Slice a whole onion and drop it like it’s hot. If it isn’t, it will be.
- Now most recipes call for a clove or two of garlic. No, don’t be a little bitch. 3 to 4 sliced cloves are what you want. If that bothers you, check out the Tasty website, they have Disney shit on there.
- Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. For those that don’t know, a simmer is small bubbles.
- Throw in your brats and make sure they are covered in the beer bath.
- Let simmer (small bubbles) for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the brats and for Pete’s sake, turn off the burner. Save those onions!
- Throw the boiled brats on the smoker for 1-2 hours, until they reach 160°. I love America.
- Grab yourself a hard roll, not a hot dog bun. Not sure what bread to use? Ask your friendly neighborhood Packers fan. Dey are at da bar down da street der guy.
- Remember those onions I told you to save? Yeah, toss those on top and squirt some mustard of choice on that bad boy.
- Eat, drink, tip a cow.
- Cheap beer works great. No need to waste money on anything that is more than $1.49 for a 24 ounce can.
- This will also work with any sausage. Jump that shark.
- Condiments are king. Yes, onions and mustard are the classic but don’t be afraid to top it with some ingenuity. Jalapenos always work. Send me pics of your favorite brat toppings. (I just opened Pandora’s box on that one.)
- Go Pack Go!
- Boil in water you boring mother… (shut yo’ mouth!)
- Wrap in a wheat tortilla or skip the bread all together, Satan.
- Use turkey sausage instead of brats. Share with friends. Oh wait, you don’t have any.
- Don’t slam 8 PBR’s while making these.