The origins of this sauce come from Argentina and I’m pretty sure they have beef for breakfast over there from what I’ve seen. They know their meat and more so, they know what to put on it. There are a million different ways to make Chimichurri sauce. No, this isn’t the way your “abuela” made it so before chiming in about how she would roll over in her grave, this is my recipe. I make shit taste good. And no, I didn’t hand cut everything in this video. I used a food processor. Why? Because I’m not an 87 year old grandmother from the old country and I ain’t got time for that. I’m not even sure I spelled Chimichurri correct. Make this a few days before you need it and let the flavors blend. Bonus tip: Take it out of the fridge a couple hours before using for maximum taste.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Sitting Time (approx.): 2 – 3 days in fridge
- 1 bunch of cilantro (About 2 cups not packed.)
- ½ to 1 bunch of oregano, leaves only
- 2 tbsn of lemon juice
- ½ red onion
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsn of red wine vinegar
- ½ to 1 cup of olive oil
- ¼ to 1 tsp of red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tbsn of kosher salt
- 1 tbsn ground black pepper
- Pick leaves of cilantro and oregano.
- Juice lemon and remove seeds.
- Chop onion in large chunks.
- Fill processor with cilantro about halfway up.
- Add oregano, 1 part oregano to 3 parts cilantro.
- Add other dry ingredients as they will fit. (Garlic, onion, red pepper, salt, and pepper)
- Add lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
- Pulse, do not puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients as it chops down.
- See step number 8.
- Scoop ingredients into a container, preferably glass.
- Add in olive oil.
- Cover and place in fridge for a few days.
- You do not have to pick the leaves off the cilantro. You can just trim the bottom of the stems. I don’t do it that way. I’m not a barbarian.
- Mix in the olive oil last. I put some into the blender in this video and I don’t like how it changes the texture. (I will update the video to reflect this the next time I make it so get off my back.) Place the “dry” ingredients in the blender with the lemon juice and vinegar to blend then stir into a bowl with the olive oil.
- You can make this the day of but if you let it sit for a few days in the fridge everyone gets to know each other at the party. Let the flavors blend.
- Get this at just above room temperature before serving.
- Nothing much unhealthy here except the salt. You can try a salt substitute or just leave out the salt if you hate yourself and your friends.
- Use a fork instead of a spoon to drain some of the oil before scooping on your food.
- Say no to meth because that shit will kill you.