This coffee rub is a simple and great tasting rub for tri-tip, ribeye steaks, and even beef ribs. If you are addicted to coffee like the rest of the U.S. you’ll love this rub. This compliments any beef you throw on the grill. The smoke and char mixed with this rub will give it a deep flavor. It’s best to give this coffee rub at least 4 hours to sink into the meat before cooking. (I prefer overnight.) Fun prank: Give it to your Mormon friends and don’t tell them there is coffee in it until after they eat. They will go straight to Mordor or whatever the name of their hell is called.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- ½ cup of coffee grounds
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsn of garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsn of onion powder
- ¾ tsp of ground ginger
- 1 ½ tbsn of Kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbsn of cracked pepper
- Combine ingredients in a bowl.
- Rub on your meat.
- Use fresh brown sugar. It will clump over time if it gets exposed to air.
- Don’t bother putting this in a shaker. The moisture in the brown sugar will make it difficult to sift. Just keep it in the bowl and sprinkle on with your hands.
- Use organic brown sugar or even replace half of the brown sugar with a sugar substitute like stevia. (1 cup of sugar for 1 tsp of sweetener)
- Go even further and use coconut or date sugar in place of the brown sugar.
- Skip the salt and use a salt substitute.
- Use low fat coffee grounds. Ask for it at your local grocer. Go ahead.