Ah the hot dog. This is what BBQ grills were built for. Overweight Americans’ undying love for this salty cousin of the sausage has been a time honored tradition at ball parks and backyard BBQ’s since the founding of this country. Legend has it that it was George Washington who first publicly declared it is only OK to throw mustard and onions on a hot dog. (That’s a lie, I totally made that up.) I think of the hot dog as a blank canvas and through the years, regional twists on the dog have popped up all over the country. I give 4 examples in the video but however you like it served, watch this video to learn how to grill the perfect American classic. ‘Merica!!! (Insert gun fire.)
5 to 15 minutes depending on how much of the beer you drink.
Cook Time (approx.)
350° to 450°
- 1 pack of hot dogs
- 32 oz. of beer
- 1 onion (white or yellow)
- 3 – 4 Chopped garlic cloves
- Various condiments
- Spiral cut the dogs. You don’t have to but they will fit the bun better and hold the condiments with grace and ease, so do it.
- Pour beer into foil pan. (If some falls into your mouth I won’t judge you.)
- Slice onion and put in beer bath. Yes, it’s a bath now. Dreams do come true.
- Chop up garlic and add it to….the……beer……..bath. Damn that feels good.
- Set up grill for two-zone cooking at 350°to 400°.
- Place beer bath over direct heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Move beer bath over to indirect heat and add hot dogs to the bath.
- Cook for 15 minutes in beer.
- Place hot dogs over direct heat for two minutes.
- Rotate hot dogs and continue cooking for another minute over direct heat.
- Place hot dogs back in beer bath and remove from heat.
- Decorate your hot dogs with whatever you like.(No ketchup)
- Any hot dog will work. Beef, pork, or turkey.
- Cut down only about ¼ through the hot dog on the spiral cut.
- Experiment with different kinds of beer. They will taste different.
- Play around with adding some other ingredients to the beer bath.
- Save those onions. They can be used as condiments on the hot dog.
- Hot dogs go great with anything. Pile on the condiments and have fun with it.
- Use a veggie dog you friggin’ communist.
- Instead of a bun try a wheat tortilla.
- Turkey is always leaner. Duh.
- Skinless dogs are available.